Is making sushi rice easy?
Yes! But it makes sure to get short-grain rice or sushi rice for the sushi.
Do you know how many types of rice there are in the world?
There are more then 1000 types of rice in the world. But they get categorized into 3 groups such as “Japonica rice”, “Indica rice”, “Javanica rice” if this much rice is classified according to a “form” and “flavour”.
What kinds of rice are for sushi?
Japonica rice is great for sushi
Japanese people like Japonica rice. The taste of the cooked rice suits the liking of Japanese people. Even if it cools down, it is thought that quality of taste doesn’t deteriorate as easily. when its cold it still suits the gastronomic culture of Japanese “sushi” “rice ball”
The sushi rice is mixed, cooked rice with sushi seasoning.
Basically, to make sushi seasoning, you must have vinegar, sugar and salt.
Brown rice syroup
You could use any sugar for the sushi rice but I highly recommend the Brown Rice Syrup for the sushi rice. That’s a way for using Macrobiotics “sugar”. A good balance of ying & yang for the same grain family of rice and brown rice syrup.
Step1. Don’t forget to soak the rice!
The most important thing is to soak the rice in water for a few hours(1~3hours) before cooking. This will make a big difference. I usually soak the rice overnight.
Step2. Drain the rice
Drain the Rice. It’s better to leave for 20~15 min. Then add water, the same amount as you soaked the rice in.
Step3. Cook the rice
High heart, when the rice is boiled turn off the stove quickly. Leave the lid on for 15 minutes then completely rice will be cooked. Do NOT open the lid during the 15 minutes.
Sushi rice Recipe
- 2 cups Rice
- 2 cups Water
- 1/2 tsp Salt
sushi vinegar seasoning
- 2 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Brown rice syrup (any sweetener)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Soak rice in water for 1~3 hours (At least 1 hour).
- Drain in a strainer and leave it for a half hour.
- Cook rice. Use 1 cup of water per cup of soaked rice.put on the lid and boil the rice on high heat until the broth starts boiling and then turn the heat off.leave the lid on, let the steam cook the rice for 10~15 minutes.
- After the rice is cooked, move rice into a bigger bowl(wooden bowl will be better)
Sushi vinegar seasoning
- Add 2 tbsp the vinegar into the rice.
- Add 1 tbsp brown rice syrup (any sweetener)
- Add 1/2 tsp salt